This week has been monumentally nerdy, in the best possible way. Punctuating my three (yes, three) viewings of Gizmo Del Turbo’s kaiju pow-wow Pacific Rim has been an unstoppable stream of trailers, teasers, panel highlight reels, photosets, gifs and Vines straight from San Diego Comic Con 2013. Every year the convention manages to be a highly-potent antidote to the dearth of content in TV-season limbo, and this year continued to uphold this tradition in earnest.
Elsewhere in the world, Netflix revealed some insight into their future plans to distribute original documentary and comedy programming, infamous Harry Potter fanfic ‘My Immortal’ becomes a web series, Terrence Malick is being sued for being too damn productive, and the world bids adieu to beloved character actor, Dennis Farina.
- Norman Chan amassed over 850 photos of SDCC 2013’s cosplayers [Tested.com]
- Tom Hiddleston introduces Thor: The Dark World’s panel as Loki. Cue screaming [YouTube User: RabidMovieFan]
- Bryan Cranston fools everyone with his Walter White costume [The Verge]
- Firefly flies once more as an MMO for iOS and Android devices. Many Browncoats are displeased [Forbes]
- The Simpsons and Futurama will have an inevitable crossover episode [IGN]
- Batman and Superman will share the screen in the Zack Snyder-directed sequel to Man of Steel [Guardian]
- Zachary Levi wants to make big-screen Chuck happen [TV Line]
- Dan Harmon hopes to return for more than just one season of Community, holds on to #sixseasonsandamovie dream [Deadline]
- The Fight Club story is to continue as a Graphic Novel [The Verge]
- 20 years on, Gillian Anderson holds out hope for third X-Files feature [THR]
- Alfonso Cuaron ‘miscalculates’ the amount of work needed to complete ‘Gravity’ [Global Post]
- Indie Artists form Trickster, a Con within a Con [Trickster]
- Joss Whedon announces Avengers: Age of Ultron. Den of Geek has all the info you need to know going in [Den of Geek]
For the past three years Chuck star Zachary Levi has pulled together Nerd HQ, a charity-focused smaller-scale convention which runs alongside SDCC and is home to multiple exhibitions, parties, intimate guest panels and events in aid of Operation Smile. This year, Levi’s company ‘The Nerd Machine’ live-streamed and archived almost all of their video content from Nerd HQ, which is now free to view over at The Nerd Machine’s YouTube Channel.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson helms sequel to Carl Sagan’s Cosmos series, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey due 2014 [Wired]
- Netflix continues to gun for HBO, wants to add original stand-up and documentaries to its repertoire [Huffington Post]
- ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D’ Pilot airs at SDCC 2013, the crowd’s reaction can be plotted on the Richter Scale [THR]
- Terrence Malick is being sued for his lack of focus on alleged pet project, ‘Voyage of Time’ [THR]
- Marvel One-Shot for Agent Carter Arrives [Empire]
- Robocop embraces drone warfare controversy, Sci-Fi action, and PG-13 certificate [Filmdrunk]
- Lucasfilm assures fans that J.J. Abrams will not be leaving Star Wars Episode VII any time soon [TheForce.net]
- Chicago Police Officer turned character actor Dennis Farina dies at 69 [Guardian]