This week sadly saw the death of Elmore Leonard, whose novels formed the basis for many well loved films including Get Shorty, Jackie Brown and Out of Sight. Being one of my favourite films of the 90s, Out of Sight is also one of Soderburgh’s strongest films (if not his best) and showcased excellent performances from both George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez, the latter providing a career best. We’ll be sad to see him go, but he leaves a rich cinematic as well as literary legacy which is unrivalled in terms of the modern crime thriller. Also this week sees the commencement of FilmFour’s annual Frightfest, more on that next week as we hear about it and we’ll give you an update which films to look out for in then future. And no-one will shut up about Breaking Bad. Apparently it’s really good, I bet you had no idea.
- Fright Fest is this week, and here’s some of the best from previous years [Little White Lies]
- Elmore Leonard dies at age 87 [The Independent]
- His movie adaptations, ranked worst to best [The Playlist]
- New American Cinema stalwart Karen Black dies aged 74 [Sight and Sound]
- J.J Abrams teases new project [EW]
- A Supercut of Robert De Niro being angry to celebrate his 70th birthday [Filmdrunk]
- Werner Herzog being adorably insane, as usual [IndieWire]
- Change all your web images to Ryan Gosling
- 100 best movie T-Shirts on the market [Empire]
- Alternative Ending to the 90s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie [/Film]
- 2013’s best documentaries [Tribeca Film]
- A fun short documentary on toys and toymakers [Uproxx]
- Gravity gets four new posters and a delayed UK release date (booooo) [Den of Geek]
- New Behind the Scenes stills for Aronofsky’s Noah [Lost in the Plex]
My twitter has been full of Peter Griffins this week
- Jim White’s amazing reaction to Nick Collins falling live on TV [YouTube]
- Tina Fey developing new Workplace comedy for NBC [Splitsider]
- Firefly: The Board Game [/Film]
- The problem with “strong female characters” [New Statesman]
- Two women revolutionised the UK TV and Film industry [The Huffington Post]
- Eastbound and Down Season 4 teaser [YouTube]
- Game of Thrones star Kit Harrington to be in Paul W S Anderson’s completely truthful re-telling of the Pompeii disaster. Also starring Carrie Ann Moss (she’s alive!) and Keifer Sutherland. Who’s with me?! [Collider]
- How to braid your hair like the Game of Thrones cast. [Jezebel]
- Netflix and Weinstein join forces [IndieWire]
International trailer for The Counselor looks almost unbearably awesome.
New trailer for Wong Kar Wai’s The Grandmaster looks decent.
A teaser for Timur Bekmambetov’s Squirrels, about ultra-violent blood thirsty um… squirrels. Looks absolutely ridiculous: count me in.
Although possibly not as stupid as 300: Rise of an Empire.